Saturday 17 May 2014

A Curry Fit For A Queen!

I had a tingling for curry tonight. Not a tomato based one. A coconut milk one. So Google came to my rescue and I found a recipe that I had all the ingredients for. This, for me, is an accomplishment. I set to work, gathering up spices and vegetables, boiling the kettle and defrosting the prawns, then hauled out my big frying pan. The result of my efforts is just pure heaven. There is a hum at the back of the flavour, and a creaminess that one craves after a bad day. Don't worry, I'll share the recipe!

Kerala Prawn & Coconut Curry

250g king prawns
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 small onion or shallot, grated
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
1 cinnamon stick
4-6 cardamom pods, lightly crushed to open
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
2cm fresh ginger, finely grated
1 tsp dried coriander leaf (you can use fresh if you like - 2tbsp)
1 can coconut milk

1. Heat a heavy based pan to a medium heat with 2 tbsp sunflower oil. Fry shallot for 1-2 minutes until cooked but not coloured. Add turmeric, chilli powder, cinnamon and cardamom pods and fry for another minute until fragrant. Stir in garlic and ginger, and fry for a minute more.

2. Stir in coconut milk, add the coriander, bring to a boil then reduce and simmer for a few minutes until thickened.

3. Meanwhile, marinate prawns in the lemon juice.

4. Add the prawns to the sauce and simmer until cooked through.

Serve with rice and chapattis or naan bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment